*NEW* Search Our Team Reports! Type a word/phrase in the box below (hint: try "settlers').

1.10.2014



2014 Elections Observation Delegation January 28 – February 4, 2014  
**Election Day is February 2nd**








 
Let me introduce myself. My name is Pat and I am a retired nurse, mother and grandmother, who has traveled extensively in Central America (CA), although this will be my first trip to El Salvador, and my second MPT international experience. My Spanish is typically understood by the kind respectful people I’ve met; however, I’m sure that my High School teachers are shaking their heads at my grammar! Fortunately SHARE is providing us with translators and the other MPT teamer speaks Spanish, so we should be more than okay.










This will be my first experience with election monitoring as well as with blogging, so I appreciate your patience as we try to explain what we see happening. It is exciting for me to be going and be with the people themselves, and begin to get to know them at a different level, than I do as a tourist. As a tourist, I’ve often seen beautiful sites, ate great interesting foods, and made friends. This time, I expect that it will be different. As we are invited into the lives of some   salvadoreƱos (Salvadorans), I should learn about them and about myself. I hope to contribute by being in solidarity with them. Whether or not or exactly how we contribute is TBD.  I know, though, that I will grow as a person, and I do hope that I will be able to communicate back to you more about the people and their election.  

Background: El Salvador is the smallest, but most densely populated country in Central America. About the size of Massachusetts, there are over 7 million people in El Salvador which is bordered on the north by Guatemala, the south by Honduras, and the west by the Pacific Ocean.



No comments: