*NEW* Search Our Team Reports! Type a word/phrase in the box below (hint: try "settlers').

8.31.2009

Mary's bio

My name is Mary and I have been a registered nurse for almost 50 years. Besides the usual nursing jobs, I have had some unique opportunities.

During the Vietnam war I worked with CRS (Catholic Relief Services) in the refugee camps and orphanages for 1 ½ years. Basically this was a
“life changing” experience.

From 2002-2004, I had the chance to spend 2 years teaching about HIV/AIDS in the schools in St. Lucia in the West Indies with the Peace Corps. With this experience too, I worked with and appreciated a different culture. A year later, I spent 3 months working again in refugee camps in Sri Lanka following the terrible tsunami.

In all of these experiences I marveled at the resilience and hope of downtrodden people.

More recently, while being involved in the Pax Christi organization, I learned about the Michigan Peace Team. Once again it seemed like a good fit for my current interest--peace, peace, peace.

I am married and have 3 adult children and four grandchildren.

I look forward to being a member of the Fall Team.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Great job to all of the team on some lovely posts and learning to use the blog.